Make it Mine Potpie–via BHG
prep: 25mins Cook Time: 22mins
2 cups cooked meat
1 10oz pkg frozen vegetables
1 can condensed soup
1 tsp seasoning
1/2 cup water (optional)
1/2 cup cheese (optional)
grated parmesan cheese (optional)
Meat(pick one): ground beef, pork, sausage, chicken, turkey
Frozen veggies (pick one): mixed beans and carrots, peas and carrots, stew veggies
Condensed Soup (pick one): cream of celery, chicken, mushroom, onion, or potato
Seasoning (pick one): chili pwd, curry pwd, dillweed, tarragon, thyme, chipotle chile pepper, italian seasoning
Cheese (pick one): cheddar, monterey jack, or mozzarella
Topper (pick one): frozen puff pastry sheets, refrigerated pie crust, refrigerated biscuits, refrigerated crescent rolls
1) Preheat oven to 400. If using ground meat, in a large skillet cook meat until no longer pink. Drain fat; discard. In large skillet combine ground or cooked meat, frozen veggies, condensed soup, and seasoning. Bring meat mixture to boiling. Add water, if needed, for desired consistency.
If desired, stir in cheese. Transfer meat mixture to a 2qt round casserole dish.
2) for topper, if using pastry sheet or piecrust, unfold pastry sheet or unroll piecrust. On a lightly floured surface roll pastry sheet or piecrust to 1 inch beyond edge of casserole. Place pastry on top of casserole. Trim pastry evenly with casserole edge, leaving 1 inch excess pastry. Fold excess pastry under, even with casserole edge. Press pastry along edges to seal.
3) If using biscuits or crescent rolls, quarter individual pieces and arrange over filling.
4) Brush topper lightly with milk and sprinkle with additional seasoning or grated parmesan cheese.
5) Bake uncovered for 22-25 mins or until golden brown and bubbly. Let stand before serving.
what I made tonight:
Cooked chicken, cream of potato soup, carrots and peas, pepper and onion and garlic pwd, in a pie crust. I usually make my own topper, rather than use a refrigerated one. My recipes are below:
Biscuits:–via Betty Crocker Yields 1 dz biscuits
1/3 cup shortening
1 3/4 cup flour
2 tsp bkg pwd
3/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
3/4 cup buttermilk
1)heat oven to 450. Cut shortening into flour, baking powder, and salt with pastry blender until mixture resembles fine crumbs. Stir in just enough milk so dough leaves side of bowl and rounds up into a ball. (Too much milk makes dough sticky, not enough makes biscuits dry.)
2) Turn dough onto lightly floured surface. Knead lightly 10 times. Roll 1/2″ thick. Cut with floured biscuit cutter. Place on ungreased cookie sheet about 1 ” apart for crust sides, touching for soft sides. Bake until golden brown about 10-12 mins.
Pie Crust: Yield five 9″ crusts
4 cups flour
2 tsp salt
1 T sugar
1/8tsp baking pwd
1 3/4 cup shortening
1/2 cup cold water
1 T white vinegar
Mix together dry ingredients. Cut in shortening until crumbles in pea size pieces. In another bowl combine wet ingredients and mix into dry ingredients a little bit at a time. Dough can be refrigerated for 3 days or frozen for months. To defrost, let dough reach room temperature. DO NOT MICROWAVE (I usually make a whole recipe of pie crusts and then freeze whatever I have left that I’m not using so I can quickly pull it out for another day and another meal or dessert.)